Re: Disabling trust/ident authentication configure option

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Disabling trust/ident authentication configure option
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> As such, proposals are more likely to be successful if the proposer can
>> show how they apply to a general use case, or adapt them so that they
>> are useful to a large number of our users.  This means that "this works
>> in our environment which has conditions X, Y, and Z" is not an effective
>> argument, unless you can follow it up with "... and here's the reason
>> why [large class of users] also has conditions X, Y and Z."

> The proposal here is to have a configure argument that disables
> arbitrary auth mechanisms.  How is that specific to a particular
> environment?

I think Josh's question is whether the feature is actually useful to
a large class of users.

One reason why it would not be, if it's a build-time decision,
is that it's quite unlikely that any popular packagers would build
that way.  So this would only be applicable to custom-built binaries,
which is a pretty small class of users to begin with.