Re: 64-bit API for large objects

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: 64-bit API for large objects
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jeremy Drake <pgsql@jdrake.com> writes:
>> 0) In "Oid lo_creat(PGconn *conn, int mode)," why is there a mode on
>> lo_create? The mode is determined when the object is lo_open()ed, right?

> I think the docs basically said it is a vestigial feature, it used to be
> useful but the code evolved in such a way that it ceased being useful.  It
> is probably still there to allow old code to continue to compile against
> newer servers without being recompiled.

Yeah.  There were once multiple types of large objects, and I suppose
the mode argument told lo_creat which kind to create.  I have no idea
how the read/write bits got included into that --- it doesn't make any
sense.  As of PG 8.1, lo_creat just ignores the mode argument.  We can't
delete the argument though without causing a lot of compatibility
headaches.