Re: BUG #15796: [not a bug actually] vacuumlo - its name is confusing

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #15796: [not a bug actually] vacuumlo - its name is confusing
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
> On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 09:52:33AM +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:
>> I think vacuumlo's name is confusing, especially for newbies. As we know,
>> vacuumlo's purpose is to remove orphaned large objects, not to vacuum
>> them.
>> Is it possible to rename this utility? I am sorry, if it is already
>> discussed.

> The tool is old enough to vote (94bb87f from 1999), and holds this
> name since its birth.  So a renaming may be more annoying than
> anything else I am afraid.

Yeah, the backwards-compatibility hit seems rather disproportionate
to the value of a change.

Also, I'm not really convinced that a name change would be much of
an improvement.  Zapping unreferenced large objects is sort of like
what VACUUM does, if you aren't too picky about details ...