Re: Upgrading rant.

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Upgrading rant.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> There isn't any fundamental reason why we cannot have a pg_upgrade
>> utility; claiming that there is something wrong with how we handle
>> catalog changes misses the point.

> pg_upgrade does work, assuming there are no changes to the index or heap
> file formats.

Does it really work?  I had thought that there were some issues
associated with adjusting transaction numbers that couldn't be solved
by pg_upgrade in its present shell-script form; I was anticipating that
pg_upgrade would have to be rewritten as a C program so that it could
get at stuff at the necessary low level.  I cannot recall the details
right at the moment though.

> In fact, there was a bug in the
> handling of clog or wal files, but I didn't find out about it until long
> after 7.2 because no one was using it.

This may be what I was recalling.  Did you find a bulletproof fix?