Re: installation problem - semaphores

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: installation problem - semaphores
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Yadu <yaduonline@gmail.com> writes:
> selecting default max_connections ... 10
> selecting default shared_buffers ... 50
> creating configuration files ... ok
> creating template1 database in /usr/local1/postgres/data/base/1 ... FATAL:
> could not create semaphores: No space left on device
> DETAIL:  Failed system call was semget(1, 17, 03600).
> HINT:  This error does *not* mean that you have run out of disk space.
>         It occurs when either the system limit for the maximum number of
> semaphore sets (SEMMNI), or the system wide maximum number of semaphores
> (SEMMNS), would be exceeded.  You need to raise the respective kernel
> parameter.  Alternatively, reduce PostgreSQL's consumption of semaphores by
> reducing its max_connections parameter (currently 10).
>         The PostgreSQL documentation contains more information about
> configuring your system for PostgreSQL.

> Since I am using Solaris OS, I may need to reboot the machine to change the
> value of semmns. I don't want to do that. How can I reduce the parameter
> max_connections and rerun the command?

initdb has already reduced it as far as is sane, if not further.  (The
underlying implementation is such that values less than 16 don't
actually reduce the number of semaphores we acquire.)  You'll have to do
whatever is needed to fix the kernel limit.  Don't forget to look at the
shared memory limit while you're at it; it's likely that that's
unreasonably small, too.