Re: integrate pg_upgrade analyze_new_cluster.sh into vacuumdb

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: integrate pg_upgrade analyze_new_cluster.sh into vacuumdb
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> ISTM that this is the way ANALYZE should work when run on a table that
> has never been analysed before. Let's just do this logic within
> ANALYZE and be done.

Can't.  Not unless you intend to make ANALYZE do internal commits
so that its output rows become visible to other transactions before
its done.  (Which would be, shall we say, a damn bad idea.)

Even without that implementation problem, I absolutely don't agree
that this is such a great thing that it should become not only the
default but the only obtainable behavior.  It would slow down
ANALYZE, and would only be helpful if there is concurrent activity
that would benefit from the stats.  There are plenty of scenarios
where that would be giving up something to get nothing.