default client_encoding with psql on windows

От Thomas Sondag
Тема default client_encoding with psql on windows
Дата
Список pgsql-general
hi all,

I try to solve a litle problem, with PostgreSQL 8.1.3 on windows with UTF8.

I read all the documentation related to psql on windows, I turn my cmd.exe encoding to codepage 1252 with the good font.

When I try a connection to my UTF8 database with psql (with my windows cp1252 terminal) I have some problems like \d produce an error : "ERROR:  invalid UTF-8 byte sequence detected near byte 0xe9", because my client_encoding is set to UTF8.

So I try to set my encoding to "win1252" with \encoding win1252 and it's work beter. I would like to set it by default but for psql only (all other programs speak UTF8).

I tried various things with the --set option of psql without success, like
--set client_encoding=win1252 or --set CLIENT_ENCODING=win1252 or --set encoding=win1252.

I think my syntax is good but that doesn't work.

This part of the man page doesn't sound realy good to me (concerning the --set option) :
"These assignments  are  done
during a very early stage of start-up, so variables reserved for
internal purposes might get overwritten later."

But you are my last change before reading the source code, so please tell me  if you have any clue :)

  Thomas