Re: [HACKERS] tupconvert.c API change in v10 release notes

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] tupconvert.c API change in v10 release notes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> writes:
> FYI, I happened across this commit comment:
> 3f902354b08ac788600f0ae54fcbfc1d4e3ea765
> |   So, let's accept the removal of the guarantee about
> |   the output tuple's rowtype marking, recognizing that this is a API change
> |   that could conceivably break third-party callers of tupconvert.c.  (So,
> |   let's remember to mention it in the v10 release notes.)

> ..but couldn't see that the commit or change is so referenced.

Yeah, I see nothing about 3f902354b in release-10.sgml either.
We've had varying policies over the years about whether to mention
internal API changes in the release notes or not, but this one
I think does belong there, since it's a silent API break rather
than one that would easily be caught due to compiler errors.
Bruce, did you have any specific reasoning for leaving it out?