Re: Hard drive failure leads to corrupt db

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Hard drive failure leads to corrupt db
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Brusser, Michael wrote:
>> Our customer reported a problem resulting from the hard drive
>> failure. Database server would not start, generating this message:
>> PANIC: The database cluster was initialized with LC_COLLATE
>> 'en_US.ISO8859-1',
>> which is not recognized by setlocale().

> The issue is that the operating system does not recognize that locale
> name.  Perhaps you need to install some extra packages to get the full
> locale support.

Yes.  The database definitely was in en_US.ISO8859-1 locale, even if you
thought otherwise.  That information comes from inside the pg_control
file, which is CRC-checked, so it's highly unlikely that corruption of
pg_control would have resulted in this message.  I think it's much more
likely that you lost the files that setlocale needs to define this
locale.