Re: [HACKERS] Open 6.5 items

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Open 6.5 items
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> I am currently trying to investigate the poor performance reported by
>> Edmund Mergl --- since gprof doesn't really work on my Linux box, I
>> am reduced to running a profilable postmaster on my HPUX box with the
>> database area NFS-mounted from the Linux box, where there is enough disk
>> space for the benchmark.  This setup gives new meaning to the term
>> "slow", but I should be able to get a useful profile out of it.

> I can run it here.  What do you want me to do?

What I'm after currently is a profile of the no-indexes case.  Build a
one-million-row test database using the script Edmund provided (see
his message of 22 May 1999 06:39:25 +0200), but stop the script before
it invokes "make_idx".  Then, with a backend compiled -pg, run this
query:update bench set k500k = k500k + 1 where k100 = 30
and send me the gprof results.

If you have time, it'd also be useful to have a profile of the same
update with indexes in place (run Edmund's make_idx script and then do
the update again).

I'm pretty close to having a profile from my NFS lashup, but it would
be nice to have profiles of the same thing from other machines as
a cross-check that no artifacts are getting introduced...
        thanks, tom lane