Re: Add a new function and a document page to get/show all the server hooks

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Add a new function and a document page to get/show all the server hooks
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 04.05.22 12:54, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
>> One problem is that the new function and doc page create an extra
>> burden of keeping them up to date with the hooks modifications and new
>> hook additions, but I think that can be taken care of in the review
>> phases.

> I think this has been proposed a number of times and rejected.

The most recent such discussion was here:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20201231032813.GQ13234%40fetter.org

The basic point was that there's a pretty low bar to creating a hook,
but the more infrastructure you want to have around hooks the harder
it will be to add any ... and the less likely that the infrastructure
will be kept up-to-date.

My takeaway from that thread was that there could be support for
minimalistic documentation, along the lines of a README file listing
all the hooks.  I'm not in favor of trying to do more than that
--- in particular, the cost/benefit ratio for the function proposed
here seems to approach infinity.