Re: More on migragting the server.

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: More on migragting the server.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
David Siebert <david@eclipsecat.com> writes:
> I set up a test server using the latest 8.2 as suggest by the list and
> did pg_dump of the old data base.
> I created a new empty database with the same name an created a user with
> the same name as was on the old server.
> I then tried to do a restore using webmin just as a test and got errors.

Hm, your old version was 7.1 right?  That predates the availability of
pg_depend information, which is what pg_dump must have to ensure that
it dumps objects in an order that has no forward references.  When
dumping from such an old server, modern pg_dump versions will use some
ordering heuristics that sort of mostly work, but a few problems are
to be expected.  In this example, for instance, it seems to have dumped
function pgadmin_get_rows(oid) before table pgadmin_table_cache, which
doesn't work.

What you'll need to do to get this reloaded is to manually modify the
load order.  pg_restore has some options that help you do that ---
basically you get a listing of the TOC (table of contents) of the
archive file, and then manually rearrange that listing, and then tell
pg_restore to restore in the manually specified order.  It will probably
take a bit of trial and error before you get it right, so I'd suggest
using pg_restore's -s option to not bother trying to load data until
you have a working load order.

Also, it might not be a bad idea to just omit the old pgAdmin objects
from the reload altogether, because they aren't going to be helpful
anyway for a modern pgAdmin.  Leave them out and then install a modern
pgAdmin release after you've successfully loaded your own stuff.
(The same goes for any other contrib or third-party stuff you might have
in there --- 7.1-era code is going to need replaced.)