Re: Idea: closing the loop for "pg_ctl reload"

От Jan de Visser
Тема Re: Idea: closing the loop for "pg_ctl reload"
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
(Please don't top post)

On April 21, 2015 07:32:05 PM Payal Singh wrote:
> I'm trying to review this patch and applied
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/attachment/37123/Let_pg_ctl_check_the_r
> esult_of_a_postmaster_config_reload.patch to postgres. gmake check passed
> but while starting postgres I see:
>
> [postgres@vagrant-centos65 data]$ LOG:  incomplete data in
> "postmaster.pid": found only 5 newlines while trying to add line 8
> LOG:  redirecting log output to logging collector process
> HINT:  Future log output will appear in directory "pg_log".
>

> Also, a simple syntax error test gave no warning at all on doing a reload,
> but just as before there was an error message in the logs:
>
> [postgres@vagrant-centos65 data]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data reload
> server signaled
> [postgres@vagrant-centos65 data]$ cd pg_log
> [postgres@vagrant-centos65 pg_log]$ ls
> postgresql-2015-04-21_232328.log  postgresql-2015-04-21_232858.log
> [postgres@vagrant-centos65 pg_log]$ grep error
> postgresql-2015-04-21_232858.log
> LOG:  syntax error in file "/usr/local/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf" line
> 211, near token "/"
> LOG:  configuration file "/usr/local/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf" contains
> errors; no changes were applied
>
> I'm guessing since this is a patch submitted to the commitfest after the
> current one, am I too early to start reviewing it?
>
> Payal

But, but, but...  it worked for me... :-)

I'll have a look. I'll apply my patch to a clean tree and see if any bits have
rotted in the last month or so.

One thing to note is that you won't get the actual error; just a message that
reloading failed.

jan