Re: [INTERFACES] 8K query limit in 6.5?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [INTERFACES] 8K query limit in 6.5?
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
"Ansley, Michael" <Michael.Ansley@intec.co.za> writes:
> Why are these limits even an issue?  Surely I should be able to adjust
> certain constants in the code (and this would include constants to take care
> of the tuple length) in order to adjust the performance of the system.  I
> realise that life is not that simple, but perhaps it could be made simpler
> than it is now.  At the moment, some of the constants used are pretty
> useless, because they can't really be adjusted.
> Can't we come up with a way to make this more amenable to adjustment?

If it bothers you, step right up and fix it ...

Where I was actually hoping to end up is with no fixed limit at all,
ie make all buffers for text be dynamically resizable to handle the
longest query presented in a given session.  But it'd be a useful
intermediate step to find all the places that are dependent on max query
length and drive them all from a single config.h constant.  All that
code would eventually be replaced, if we do dynamic sizing, but doing
this would still be helpful as a way of identifying everything that
needs to change.  Just finding all the places that depend on max query
length is not as trivial as you might think.

Сообщение: RE: [INTERFACES] Three posts and no response 8--(
Сообщение: Re: [INTERFACES] Three posts and no response 8--(