Re: Why copy_relation_data only use wal whenWALarchivingis enabled

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Why copy_relation_data only use wal whenWALarchivingis enabled
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Florian G. Pflug" <fgp@phlo.org> writes:
> What is the argument against making relfilenodes globally unique by adding the
> xid and epoch of the creating transaction to the filename?

1. Zero chance of ever backpatching.  (I know I said I wasn't excited  about that, but it's still a strike against a
proposedfix.)

2. Adds new fields to RelFileNode, which will be a major code change,  and possibly a noticeable performance hit
(biggerhashtable keys).

3. Adds new columns to pg_class, which is a real PITA ...

4. Breaks oid2name and all similar code that knows about relfilenode.