Re: What is the maximum encoding-conversion growth rate, anyway?

От Jeroen T. Vermeulen
Тема Re: What is the maximum encoding-conversion growth rate, anyway?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 29, 2007 20:51, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> Thinking more, it striked me that users can define arbitarily growing
> rate by using CFREATE CONVERSION. So it seems we need functionality to
> define the growing rate anyway.

Would it make sense to define just the longest and shortest character
lengths for an encoding?  Then for any conversion you'd have a safe
estimate of
 ceil(target_encoding.max_char_len / source_encoding.min_char_len)

...without going through every possible conversion.

Jeroen