Re: BUG #14448: create table as values - type check skipped

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #14448: create table as values - type check skipped
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
hmahmood89@googlemail.com writes:
> create temporary table product_codes  as select *
> from (
>     values
>     ('abcdefg'::character varying(20)),
>     ('012345678901234567ABCDEFGHIJKLMN')
> ) csv_data (product_code);
> select *
> from product_codes;

> I would expect that the type check got applied across all values or that the
> value got truncated.

> The result column states "character varying(20)". Inserts/Updates/Casts all
> truncate as expected.

Hmm.  I'm not sure whether that VALUES construct should be expected to
produce varchar(20) or just unrestricted varchar, but I agree that if
it claims to produce varchar(20) then the results should all meet that
limit.  Will look into it, thanks for the report!