Re: Re: Continue work on changes to recovery.conf API

От David Steele
Тема Re: Re: Continue work on changes to recovery.conf API
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 27/11/2018 13:21, David Steele wrote:
>> I would prefer a specific file that will be auto-included into
>> postgresql.conf when present but be ignored when not present.  Some
>> settings are generally ephemeral (recovery_target_time) and it would be
>> nice for them to go away.  When recovery is complete the file would be
>> renamed to .done just as recovery.conf is now.
>
> That might be a useful facility, but it wouldn't really address the
> pg_basebackup -R issue, because that creates settings that you don't
> want going away in this manner.  You'd then need two separate such
> files, one for targeted recovery that goes away when recovery ends, and
> one that is automatically included that pg_basebackup can overwrite at will.

I'm not sure why that's true.  Some settings you might prefer to be
persistent and others not.  If pg_basebackup -R is treating them the
same then that seems like a limitation.

Endlessly appending settings into postgresql.auto.conf seems confusing
even if it makes sense to postgres (i.e. last setting wins).

Regards,
--
-David
david@pgmasters.net