Re: [BUGS] BUG #14853: Parameter type is required even when the querydoes not need to know the type

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: [BUGS] BUG #14853: Parameter type is required even when the querydoes not need to know the type
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On 10/16/2017 07:39 PM, Eduardo Pérez Ureta wrote:
> I ran the PostgreSQL test suite (make check) and all the tests passed,
> so, my change should not break anything.
> Maybe PostgreSQL should be changed to not require a type in this case.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, unfortunately.

In other words, the fact that "make check" passes may easily be just due
to an omission in the regression tests. Apparently there's no test that
we actually produce the error when the type can't be inferred.

That being said, I don't know if this is a correct change or not.
Perhaps it is, perhaps it isn't - not sure. Consider adding it to the
next commitfest [https://commitfest.postgresql.org/15/] where you'll get
more feedback. You'll need to submit it to pgsql-hackers though.

regards