Re: Open Item: Should non-text EXPLAIN always show properties?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Open Item: Should non-text EXPLAIN always show properties?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
James Coleman <jtc331@gmail.com> writes:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 12:33 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I think the right way to think about this is that we are building
>> an output data structure according to a schema that should be fixed
>> for any particular plan shape.  If event X happened zero times in
>> a given execution, but it could have happened in a different execution
>> of the same plan, then we should print X with a zero count.  If X
>> could not happen period in this plan, we should omit X's entry.

> Do we print zeroes for memory usage when all sorts ended up spilling
> to disk then?

I did not claim that the pre-existing code adheres to this model
completely faithfully ;-).  But we ought to have a clear mental
picture of what it is we're trying to achieve.  If you don't like
the above design, propose a different one.