Re: Purely declarative FKs

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Purely declarative FKs
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Christophe Pettus <xof@thebuild.com> writes:
> On Oct 16, 2023, at 00:51, Thiemo Kellner <thiemo@gelassene-pferde.biz> wrote:
>> Question: Are there plans to provide a feature in PostgreSQL that one
>> can have foreign keys for purely documentation purpose - I know, one
>> could use a modelling tool and just not implement the FKs, but my
>> reality is, there is hardly ever a modelling tool involved.

> The answer to the specific question is, no, I don't believe that there
> any plans to implement purely documentary foreign keys.

Recent versions of the SQL spec have a NOT ENFORCED option for
constraints, which is what I think you're looking for here.
If somebody came with a well-thought-out patch to add that feature,
we'd likely take it.  But this is definitely a "scratch your own
itch" situation; I don't know of anyone already working on such
a thing.