Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add port/strnlen support to libpq and ecpg Makefiles.

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add port/strnlen support to libpq and ecpg Makefiles.
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
> On 2017-10-11 11:58:58 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I agree the PITA factor of the current approach keeps increasing.
>> It sounds a bit silly to build libpgport three ways, but maybe
>> we should just do that.

> We already kinda are, just by copying things around ;)

Yeah.  I hadn't realized how much duplication of effort is happening
within ecpg.  This was a somewhat reasonable solution when it was
first invented for libpq only, but building snprintf.o four times
is pretty silly.

>> Or conceivably we should just build the FE version of libpgport.a
>> with -fPIC and not worry about whether that loses some efficiency
>> for client programs.  A lot of distros are effectively forcing
>> that, or even -fPIE, anyway.

> Hm.

On reflection, let's just go with the solution of building libpgport_lib.a
with the right flags (fPIC + threading) and leave libpgport.a alone.
That way we don't need a debate about whether there's an efficiency
cost worth worrying about.