Re: Binary support for pgoutput plugin

От Petr Jelinek
Тема Re: Binary support for pgoutput plugin
Дата
Re: Binary support for pgoutput plugin  (Dave Cramer <davecramer@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 10/06/2019 13:27, Dave Cramer wrote:
> So back to binary output.
>
> From what I can tell the place to specify binary options would be in the
> create publication and or in replication slots?
>
> The challenge as I see it is that the subscriber would have to be able
> to decode binary output.
>
> Any thoughts on how to handle this? At the moment I'm assuming that this
> would only work for subscribers that knew how to handle binary.

Given that we don't need to write anything extra to WAL on upstream to
support binary output, why not just have the request for binary data as
an option for the pgoutput and have it chosen dynamically? Then it's the
subscriber who asks for binary output via option(s) to START_REPLICATION.

--
Petr Jelinek
2ndQuadrant - PostgreSQL Solutions