Re: Re: Sure enough, the lock file is gone

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Re: Sure enough, the lock file is gone
Дата
Re: Re: Sure enough, the lock file is gone  (teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød))
Список pgsql-hackers
> I understand why the socket needs to be in /tmp, but why the lockfile?

It would probably be better if the socket files weren't in /tmp but in
a postgres-owned directory.  However, at this point we have a huge
backwards compatibility problem to overcome if we want to move the
socket files.  The location of the socket files is essentially a core
part of the frontend-backend protocol, because both client and server
must know it ab initio.  Move the socket, break your clients.

There is an option in 7.1 to support defining a different directory
for the socket files, but I doubt very many people will use it.

I see no real good reason to keep the lockfiles in a different place
from the sockets themselves, however.  Doing so would just complicate
things even more, without adding any real safety or security.