Re: Best OS for Postgres 8.2

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Best OS for Postgres 8.2
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> writes:
> Debian packages PostgreSQL in a fashion unique to it; it's arguable
> whether it's better or not (I don't like it), but going with that will
> assure your installation is a bit non-standard compared with most Linux
> installas.

<dons red fedora>

What Debian has done is set up an arrangement that lets you run two (or
more) different PG versions in parallel.  Since that's amazingly helpful
during a major-PG-version upgrade, most of the other packagers are
scheming how to do something similar.  I'm not sure when this will
happen in the PGDG or Red Hat RPMs, but it probably will eventually.

> Given the buginess and unexpected changes from packages updates of every
> Fedora Core release I've ever tried, I wouldn't trust any OS from that
> line to run a database keeping track of where my socks are at.  Core 6
> seems better than most of the older ones.  I find it hard to understand
> what it offers that Centos doesn't such that you'd want Fedora instead.

Fedora is about cutting edge, RHEL is about stability, and Centos tracks
RHEL.  No surprises there.  (<plug> and if someday you want commercial
support for your OS, a Centos->RHEL update will get you there easily.
AFAIK Red Hat doesn't have a clean solution for someone running Fedora
who suddenly realizes he needs a 24x7-supportable OS right now.
Something to work on... </plug>)

</dons red fedora>