Re: Autovacuum and idle_session_timeout

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Autovacuum and idle_session_timeout
Дата
Re: Autovacuum and idle_session_timeout  (Japin Li <japinli@hotmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Japin Li <japinli@hotmail.com> writes:
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 at 18:53, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> pg_dump works in a single transaction, so it's already dealt with
>> idle_in_transaction_timeout. Though I guess setting both would work too.

> Attached fix this, please consider reveiew it.  Thanks.

This seems rather pointless to me.  The idle-session timeout is only
activated in PostgresMain's input loop, so it will never be reached
in autovacuum or other background workers.  (The same is true for
idle_in_transaction_session_timeout, so the fact that somebody made
autovacuum.c clear that looks like cargo-cult programming from here,
not useful code.)  And as for pg_dump, how would it ever trigger the
timeout?  It's not going to sit there thinking, especially not
outside a transaction.