Re: Just for fun: Postgres 20?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Just for fun: Postgres 20?
Дата
Re: Just for fun: Postgres 20?  (Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Andreas Karlsson <andreas@proxel.se> writes:
> On 2/12/20 12:07 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> But we do actually release on calendar year.  While it seems not
>> unreasonable that we might fail to ship in time, that would likely lead
>> to one month, two months of delay.  Four months?  I don't think anybody
>> even imagines such a long delay.  It would be seen as utter,
>> unacceptable failure of our release team.

> It has actually happened once: PostgreSQL 9.5 was released in 2016-01-07.

Yeah; I don't think it's *that* unlikely for it to happen again.  But
my own principal concern about this mirrors what somebody else already
pointed out: the one-major-release-per-year schedule is not engraved on
any stone tablets.  So I don't want to go to a release numbering system
that depends on us doing it that way for the rest of time.