Re: Naming-scheme for db-files

От Markus Wollny
Тема Re: Naming-scheme for db-files
Дата
Re: Naming-scheme for db-files  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@atentus.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi!

Yes, I run vacuum every night - and log-output indicates no errors at
all. Yet I am indeed quite puzzled about the size of this table. Is
there some way of finding out which column consumes so much space?

select count(*) from ct_com_user return 95858 rows.
The CREATE-statement for this table is as follows:

CREATE TABLE ct_com_user (
  user_id numeric(10, 0),
  login varchar(1000),
  password varchar(1000),
  status numeric(10, 0),
  rights varchar(20) DEFAULT 'r',
  firstname varchar(1000),
  firstname_visible numeric(1, 0) DEFAULT 0,
  lastname varchar(1000),
  lastname_visible numeric(1, 0) DEFAULT 0,
  clan varchar(1000),
  clan_visible numeric(1, 0) DEFAULT 0,
  street varchar(1000),
  street_visible numeric(1, 0) DEFAULT 0,
  zipcode varchar(1000),
  zipcode_visible numeric(1, 0) DEFAULT 0,
  city varchar(1000),
  city_visible numeric(1, 0) DEFAULT 0,
  country varchar(1000),
  country_visible numeric(1, 0) DEFAULT 0,
  phone1 varchar(1000),
  phone1_visible numeric(1, 0) DEFAULT 0,
  phone2 varchar(1000),
  phone2_visible numeric(1, 0) DEFAULT 0,
  mobile varchar(1000),
  mobile_visible numeric(1, 0) DEFAULT 0,
  fax varchar(1000),
  fax_visible numeric(1, 0) DEFAULT 0,
  email1 varchar(1000),
  email1_visible numeric(1, 0) DEFAULT 0,
  email2 varchar(1000),
  email2_visible numeric(1, 0) DEFAULT 0,
  icq varchar(1000),
  icq_visible numeric(1, 0) DEFAULT 0,
  homepage varchar(1000),
  homepage_visible numeric(1, 0) DEFAULT 0,
  description varchar(1000),
  description_visible numeric(1, 0) DEFAULT 0,
  hobbies varchar(1000),
  hobbies_visible numeric(1, 0) DEFAULT 0,
  signature1 varchar(4000),
  signature2 varchar(4000),
  signature3 varchar(4000),
  forum_view varchar(20) DEFAULT 'flat',
  temp_password varchar(100),
  registered timestamptz,
  last_login timestamptz,
  created timestamptz DEFAULT ('now'::text)::timestamp(6) with time
zone,
  lines numeric(3, 0) DEFAULT 400,
  lines_forum numeric(3, 0) DEFAULT 20,
  forum_lines numeric(3, 0) DEFAULT 20,
  forum_smileys varchar(50) DEFAULT 'enhanced',
  site_id numeric(10, 0) DEFAULT 0,
  flag_id numeric(10, 0) DEFAULT 0,
  forum_quoting varchar(50) DEFAULT 'enhanced',
  forum_flatpostings numeric(3, 0) DEFAULT 10,
  forum_images numeric(1, 0) DEFAULT 2,
  user_image numeric(1, 0) DEFAULT 0,
  user_image_visible numeric(1, 0) DEFAULT 0,
  chat_password varchar(50),
  chat_last_visit timestamptz,
  authorpoints_visible numeric(1, 0) DEFAULT 0,
  emailindex txtidx,
  CONSTRAINT idx_pk_ct_com_user UNIQUE (user_id),
  CONSTRAINT idx_u_ct_com_user_login UNIQUE (login)
) WITH OIDS;

As hardly anyone actually uses a signature, hobby or description, I
cannot imagine how this should amount to almost 2 GB of data (1862MB) -
this would mean roughly 20k of data per row average - and no way have we
got this amount of data - the absolute maximum data per row as defined
would be about 30k, I guess, but that would mean that nearly all of our
users would use nearly all available space and I know that this is quite
far from true. I suspect it may have something to do with emailindex of
the txtidx-type... As it's not absolutely necessary, I'll try and drop
this column and see what I get...

Regards,

    Markus