Re: Severe problems with ColdFusion 5, ODBC and PostgreSQL 7.2.1

От Markus Wollny
Тема Re: Severe problems with ColdFusion 5, ODBC and PostgreSQL 7.2.1
Дата
Список pgsql-odbc
If we turned off connection pooling, we'd have to go back to
non-persistant connections. And this causes severe performace
decreasing, as the time the OS takes to fork a new process is coming on
top of every request made to the database. As several people strictly
recommend using connection pooling and persistant connections, I don't
think that switching that off would in fact solve any problem but cause
a bunch of new ones...

    -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
    Von: mlw
    Gesendet: Sa 10.08.2002 19:56
    An: Markus Wollny
    Cc: pgsql-odbc@postgresql.org
    Betreff: Re: [ODBC] Severe problems with ColdFusion 5, ODBC and
PostgreSQL 7.2.1

    Try turning off connection pooling and see if the problem goes
away. I have had
    strange problems with connection pooling in other databases. If,
for some
    reason, the connection pooling layer fails to detect an invalid
state in a
    connection, it will try to use that connection, even though it
is invalid.

    Using PHP, we would see this problem in Oracle. Ever once in a
while we'd get a
    failed query. It would not go away until we restarted apache.

    The problem, we later found out, was that the PHP system had a
persistent
    connection to Oracle. It was a game of roulette as to which
apache process
    would answer a request, while only one Apache process had the
bogus connection.

    It could be that a postgres process is dying and not being
detected by the
    pooling layer.

    Markus Wollny wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > Maximum number of connections in postgresql.conf is more than
sufficient
    > and we configured the CF-Servers to use connection pooling so
they
    > cannot reach the limit set in postgresql.conf. I don't think
that this
    > is the cause of my troubles.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Markus

ODBC and
    > PostgreSQL 7.2.1
    >

    >         Markus Wollny wrote:
    >         >
    >         > Hi!
    >         >
    >         > We've recently migrated our frontend database from
Oracle on
    > Win2k to
    >         > PostgreSQL 7.2.1 on SuSE Linux 7.2.1. Everything is
running -
    > most of
    >         > the time. But about once every hour, at least one of
our three
    >         > webservers running ColdFusion 5 is throwing one of
the
    > following errors:
    >         >
    >         > ODBC Error Code = IM005 (Driver's SQLAllocConnect
failed)
    >         > [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Fehler beim
    > SQLAllocHandle-Aufruf fÃf¼r
    >         > Treiber auf SQL_HANDLE_DBC.
    >         > (Error calling SQLAllocHandle for Driver on
SQL_HANDLE_DBC).
    >         >
    >         > respectively:
    >         >
    >         > ODBC Error Code = S1000 (General error)
    >         > The database does not exist on the server or user
    > authentication failed.
    >         >
    >         > I've got to restart the ColdFusion Application
Server service