Avoiding redundant fetches of btree index metapages

От Tom Lane
Тема Avoiding redundant fetches of btree index metapages
Дата
Re: Avoiding redundant fetches of btree index metapages  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Some experimentation over the weekend turned up the result that $SUBJECT
is a good idea.  I had never thought about this much before, figuring
that in a heavily-used index the metapage would stay in cache anyway and
so fetching it at the start of each index search isn't costing any extra
I/O.  That's true, but what it does cost is bufmgr contention, and in
fact more than you'd expect because the amount of work actually done
before releasing the page again is minuscule.  (See off-list discussion
attached below.)

I'm working on cleaning up the patch shown below to make it really
usable.  The thoughts I have are:

* Re-using rd_targblock was OK for a quick hack because we don't use it
for indexes, but it's too klugy for real use, and it's not quite enough
info anyway (we really ought to cache the root level as well as root
block number).  I'm planning to add a "void *" pointer to the Relation
struct that the index AM is allowed to use as it sees fit, with the
understanding that any pointed-to data lives in rd_indexcxt and the
pointer will be reset to NULL on any relcache clear.  btree would store
a copy of the BTMetaPageData struct.  The other AMs might have some
other use for this.

* The tricky part of caching this data is that we might try to use a
very stale (many transactions old) root pointer, if a relcache entry
sits unused for a long time.  Btree's internal vacuuming protocol
ensures that we won't delete a page that any active transaction is
"in flight" to, but that logic won't protect a backend that tries to use
an old cached pointer.  So we could arrive at a page that is deleted,
or has been deleted and then recycled to be a valid page (but not the
one we want) or worst case ReadBuffer fails entirely because the pointer
points past the current physical index end.  "Deleted" isn't a problem
because we can recognize such a page and fall back to fetching the
metapage, but the other cases are nastier.

What I'm considering doing to fix that is require any change to a
btree's metapage data to send out a relcache inval message for the
index.  That will force all backends to flush the stale cache item
not later than the start of their next transaction, and thereby
guarantee that they aren't using pointers that are too old to be safe
against vacuuming.  (There are other ways we could handle this, but
that one seems like the simplest and least invasive.)

Comments?  Anyone see any flaws in the reasoning?
        regards, tom lane

------- Forwarded Messages