Re: Extending System Views: proposal for 8.1/8.2

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Extending System Views: proposal for 8.1/8.2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> I may be missing something here, but haven't we always stated that
>> using 'SELECT *' should be frown'd upon for the most part?

> No, we have never stated that.

We do however point out in the docs that SELECT * is vulnerable to
addition of columns, eg footnote 1 here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/tutorial-select.html

We've always felt free to add columns to system catalogs at need,
and I don't see that adding some to system views is worse.