Re: Maliing list request: pgsql-forks@

От Nasby, Jim
Тема Re: Maliing list request: pgsql-forks@
Дата
Список pgsql-www
> On Aug 7, 2019, at 9:07 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
>
> Greetings,
>
> * Craig Ringer (craig@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
>> Personally the only advantage I see to splitting it off -hackers is that it
>> makes posts related to addins/forks/extensions/spoons/magic unicorn
>> fairies/whatever more visible to that interest group.

Yes, that’s definitely one of the advantages.

> This really seems like it's going to lead in a direction where the
> various forks discuss on some other list things they want to see in core
> (such as reducing the velocity of commits to core...), and then they're
> going to spend a bunch of time on it and eventually propose something on
> -hackers that ends up getting shot down, and I don't really think that's
> going to be very satisfying for anyone.

No one is suggesting reducing commit velocity.

> Let's keep the discussion about changes to core on -hackers. If there's
> folks who want a list to get together and discuss how to address certain
> limitations and how to work around them in the extensions system or the
> set of hooks that are provided, that's great, but it should be clear
> that it's that and not intended to be some kind of alternative list for
> discussing core changes.

The majority of people in the BoF at pgCon that spurred this are more than experienced enough to know that nothing will
moveforward without full discussion on -hackers. This list is not meant to be any sort of replacement for that process.