Re: [HACKERS] merging some features from plpgsql2 project

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: [HACKERS] merging some features from plpgsql2 project
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/28/16 7:16 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>     ** The real problem is that we have no mechanism for allowing a PL's
>     language/syntax/API to move forward without massive backwards
>     compatibility problems. **
>

> We have not, but there are few possibilities:
>
> 1. enhance #option command
> 2. we can introduce PRAGMA command
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_(programming_language)#Pragmas
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_%28programming_language%29#Pragmas>

I wanted to break this out separately, because IMO it's the real heart
of the matter.

I think it would be silly not to allow a global setting of
compatibility. You certainly don't want to force people to stick magic
keywords in their code forevermore.

To that end, would GUCs be a workable answer here? That should give you
the ability to control incompatibilities at a function, user, database
and global level. It would also allow you to chose between raising a
WARNING vs a FATAL.

I realize we've had some bad experiences with compatibility GUCs in the
past, but I'd argue we've also had some good experiences. I see that
add_missing_from is now completely gone, for example, presumably with no
complaints. There's probably several other compatibility GUCs we could
remove now.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)