Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem

От: Tom Lane
Тема: Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Peter Hussey, )
 Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Andres Freund, )
 Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Alvaro Herrera, )
   Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Jayadevan M, )
 Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Peter Hussey, )
   Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Robert Haas, )
   Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Hannu Krosing, )
    Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Robert Haas, )
     Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Hannu Krosing, )
      Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Tom Lane, )
       Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Hannu Krosing, )
        Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Hannu Krosing, )
         Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Greg Smith, )
          Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Greg Smith, )
          Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  ("Kevin Grittner", )
           Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Greg Smith, )
            Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  ("Kevin Grittner", )
          Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Hannu Krosing, )
         Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Tom Lane, )
         Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Hannu Krosing, )
          Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  ("Kevin Grittner", )
         Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Hannu Krosing, )
       Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Bruce Momjian, )

Alvaro Herrera <> writes:
> Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of mar jul 27 20:05:02 -0400 2010:
>> Well, the issue you're hitting is that the executor is dividing the
>> query into batches to keep the size of the in-memory hash table below
>> work_mem.  The planner should expect that and estimate the cost of
>> the hash technique appropriately, but seemingly it's failing to do so.

> Hmm, I wasn't aware that hash joins worked this way wrt work_mem.  Is
> this visible in the explain output?

As of 9.0, any significant difference between "Hash Batches" and
"Original Hash Batches" would be a cue that the planner blew the
estimate.  For Peter's problem, we're just going to have to look
to see if the estimated cost changes in a sane way between the
small-work_mem and large-work_mem cases.