Re: postmaster and postgres options assimilation

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: postmaster and postgres options assimilation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> -S
>     postmaster: silent mode
>     postgres: work_mem

> Renaming the postgres side of -N, -o, -p, and -s might not really do
> any harm, but the -S option used to be very popular on the postgres
> command-line via -o from the postmaster, so I'm afraid that this might
> break existing start scripts.

Actually I'd vote for renaming the silent-mode switch.  That's pretty
well deprecated anyway isn't it?  I've certainly not seen it used in
start scripts.

Similarly, I think it would be less likely to cause problems if you
renamed postmaster -s (SIGSTOP) than postgres -s.  I can't imagine
that anyone is using postmaster -s in the field.

> Does anyone have suggestions about resolving these conflicts, or should we
> just forget about this issue altogether?

I don't think we should let the risk of breaking a few start scripts
dissuade us from cleaning up this mess.