Re: Re: Faster CREATE DATABASE by delaying fsync (was 8.4.1 ubuntu karmic slow createdb)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Re: Faster CREATE DATABASE by delaying fsync (was 8.4.1 ubuntu karmic slow createdb)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> So I think we have a bigger problem than just copydir.c. It seems to
> me we should be fsyncing the table space data directories on every
> checkpoint.

Is there any evidence that anyone anywhere has ever lost data because
of a lack of directory fsyncs?  I sure don't recall any bug reports
that seem to match that theory.

It seems to me that we're talking about a huge hit in both code
complexity and performance to deal with a problem that doesn't actually
occur in the field; and which furthermore is trivially solved on any
modern filesystem by choosing the right filesystem options.  Why don't
we just document those options, instead?