string functions and operators

От Neil Stlyz
Тема string functions and operators
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hello,

I have a dilema and I was hoping someone here may offer guidance or assistance. I bet this is a very simple question for someone out there but I am having problems coming up with a solution. Here it is...

suppose I have a field with the following values:

77.1
77.2
134.1
134.2
134.3
5.1
5.2

I need two seperate SELECT queries. One would return the following values (everything left of the decimal point)

77
77
134
134
5
5

The second query would return all of the values to the right of the decimal point:

1
2
1
2
3
1
2

Now, I have been using the following information (although very Greek) to try to solve this problem:

And I have been playing around with the syntax of the following:

            substring('112.5' from '%#"___.#"_' for '#')

but the aforementioned is not quite working out... can someone please show me a string function that will produce the desired results?

Thanks!
~n