Re: Re: default opclass for jsonb (was Re: Call for GIST/GIN/SP-GIST opclass documentation)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Re: default opclass for jsonb (was Re: Call for GIST/GIN/SP-GIST opclass documentation)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> That seems to be the consensus, but now we need a name for the
>> soon-to-be-not-default opclass.  What's a good short adjective for it?

> "comprehensive"?  Not particularly short ...

> According to Merriam Webster:
> Synonyms
>     all-embracing, all-in [chiefly British], all-inclusive,
>     broad-gauge (or broad-gauged), compendious, complete,
>     encyclopedic, cover-all, cyclopedic, embracive, exhaustive,
>     full, global, inclusive, in-depth, omnibus, panoramic, thorough,
>     universal

> Related Words
>     broad, catholic, encyclical, general, inclusionary, overall;
>     cosmic (also cosmical), extensive, far, far-reaching, grand,
>     large, panoptic, sweeping, vast, wide, wide-ranging; blanket,
>     indiscriminate, unrestricted

> jsonb_omnibus_ops ?

hm ... jsonb_full_ops seems nicely short, but on the other hand it just
begs the question "full what?".  I'm a bit worried about future-proof-ness
too; what if somebody later comes up with a new opclass that indexes more
operators?  We'd end up calling it jsonb_fuller_ops, ick.

I was kind of hoping for a technical adjective, like "hash" is for the
soon-to-be-default opclass.  What is it about this opclass that
distinguishes it from other indexing approaches that someone might try?