Re: Need help with 8.4 Performance Testing

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Need help with 8.4 Performance Testing
Дата
Re: Need help with 8.4 Performance Testing  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Re: Need help with 8.4 Performance Testing  (justin <justin@emproshunts.com>)
Re: Need help with 8.4 Performance Testing  (Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com>)
Re: Need help with 8.4 Performance Testing  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
Scott Carey <scott@richrelevance.com> writes:
> Which brings this back around to the point I care the most about:
> I/O per second will diminish as the most common database performance limiting factor in Postgres 8.4's lifetime, and
becomealmost irrelevant in 8.5's.
> Becoming more CPU efficient will become very important, and for some, already is.  The community needs to be
proactiveon this front.
> This turns a lot of old assumptions on their head, from the database down through the OS and filesystem.  We're bound
torun into many surprises due to this major shift in something that has had its performance characteristics taken for
grantedfor decades.

Hmm ... I wonder whether this means that the current work on
parallelizing I/O (the posix_fadvise patch in particular) is a dead
end.  Because what that is basically going to do is expend more CPU
to improve I/O efficiency.  If you believe this thesis then that's
not the road we want to go down.

От: Richard Yen
Сообщение: query plan with index having a btrim is different for strings of different length
От: "David Wilson"
Сообщение: Re: query plan with index having a btrim is different for strings of different length