Re: why postgresql over other RDBMS

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: why postgresql over other RDBMS
Дата
Re: why postgresql over other RDBMS  (Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc>)
Re: why postgresql over other RDBMS  (Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>)
Список pgsql-general
> Erik Jones wrote:
>> And, to finish up, is there any reason that pg_restore couldn't
>> already work with separate processes working in parallel?

> The problem is that the ordering of objects in the dump is the only
> thing that makes the dump consistent with regards to the dependencies of
> objects.  So pg_restore cannot make any assumptions of parallelisability
> of the restoration process of objects in the dump.

That's true at the level of DDL operations, but AFAIK we could
parallelize table-loading and index-creation steps pretty effectively
--- and that's where all the time goes.

A more interesting question is what sort of hardware you need for that
actually to be a win, though.  Loading a few tables in parallel sounds
like an ideal recipe for oversaturating your disk bandwidth...

Сообщение: Re: why postgresql over other RDBMS
Сообщение: Re: why postgresql over other RDBMS