Re: Why are default encoding conversions

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Why are default encoding conversions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> writes:
> I'm sure we need more than one default conversion for encoding A and
> B. For example, different vendors provide different conversion maps
> for SJIS and UTF-8. M$ has its own and Apple has another one, etc. The
> differences are not huge but some customers might think the difference
> is critical. In this case they could create their own conversion in
> their schema.

Well, being able to switch to a different conversion is fine, but I don't
think that's a good argument for tying it to the schema search path.
What would make more sense to me is a command specifically setting the
conversion to use --- perhaps a GUC variable, since then ALTER USER SET
and ALTER DATABASE SET would provide convenient ways of controlling it.