Re: [HACKERS] RustgreSQL

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] RustgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I'm not meaning to be funny or sarcastic or disrespectful when I say
> that I think C is the best possible language for PostgreSQL.  It works
> great, and we've got a ton of investment in making it work.

Yeah.  There's certainly a whole lot of path dependency in that statement
--- if you were starting to write Postgres from scratch today, you would
very likely choose some other language.  But given where we are, there's
just not a lot of attraction in trying to convert to another language.

As other people noted, the one path that might possibly make sense is
a gradual upgrade to C++.  But getting past the exceptions issue is a
pretty high bar that we'd have to clear before we could do much in
that direction; and it's not obvious that C++ would offer enough benefit
to be worth it.  Most of us would rather spend our time on new features
or performance improvements, not fighting with a language changeover.

Сообщение: Re: [DOCS] [HACKERS] Questionable tag usage
Сообщение: Re: [DOCS] [HACKERS] Questionable tag usage