Re: [HACKERS] Join syntax

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Join syntax
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> It's a real pita to flatten the join expressions into the traditional
> Postgres query tree. It would be nice to start thinking about how to
> represent general subqueries or intermediate queries in the parse
> tree.

Yes.  Jan has been saying for some time that he needs that for rules.
Also, I have found some squirrely cases in INSERT ... SELECT ... that
can't really be done right unless the INSERT and SELECT targetlists
are kept separate, which seems to mean a two-level parsetree structure.

The UNION/INTERSECT/EXCEPT code has a really klugy approach to
multi-query parse trees, which maybe could be cleaned up if we
supported them in a more general fashion.

Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and do it.  You have any thoughts
on what the representation should look like?