Re: pg_dump far too slow

От: Tom Lane
Тема: Re: pg_dump far too slow
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

pg_dump far too slow  (David Newall, )
 Re: pg_dump far too slow  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: pg_dump far too slow  (David Newall, )
   Re: pg_dump far too slow  (Craig Ringer, )
    Re: pg_dump far too slow  (Tom Lane, )
     Re: pg_dump far too slow  (David Newall, )
      Re: pg_dump far too slow  (Scott Carey, )
   Re: pg_dump far too slow  (Dave Crooke, )
    Re: pg_dump far too slow  (Bob Lunney, )
 Re: pg_dump far too slow  (Robert Haas, )
 Re: pg_dump far too slow  (Dave Crooke, )
 Re: pg_dump far too slow  (Matthew Wakeling, )

Craig Ringer <> writes:
> On 21/03/2010 9:17 PM, David Newall wrote:
>> and wonder if I should read up on gzip to find why it would work so
>> slowly on a pure text stream, albeit a representation of PDF which
>> intrinsically is fairly compressed.

> In fact, PDF uses deflate compression, the same algorithm used for gzip.
> Gzip-compressing PDF is almost completely pointless -

Yeah.  I would bet that the reason for the slow throughput is that gzip
is fruitlessly searching for compressible sequences.  It won't find many.