Re: Release 14 Schedule

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Release 14 Schedule
Дата
Re: Release 14 Schedule  (Pavel Luzanov <p.luzanov@postgrespro.ru>)
Список pgsql-hackers
"Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz@postgresql.org> writes:
> On 9/19/21 12:32 PM, Justin Pryzby wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 01:37:19PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> We don't yet have a list-of-major-features for the v14 release notes.
>>> Anybody care to propose one?

> I can try proposing some wording on this in a bit; I'm working on the
> overdue draft of the press release, and thought I'd chime in here first.

I looked over Jonathan's draft press release [1] and tried to boil it down
to our usual ten-or-so bullet points for the release notes' introductory
paragraph.  I ended up with this (didn't bother with markup yet):

-----
Stored procedures can now return data via OUT parameters.

The SQL-standard SEARCH and CYCLE options for common table expressions
have been implemented.

Range types have been extended by adding multiranges, which allow
representation of noncontiguous data ranges.

Subscripting can now be applied to any data type for which it is a useful
notation, not only arrays.  In this release, JSONB and hstore have gained
subscripting operators.

Numerous performance improvements have been made for parallel queries,
heavily-concurrent workloads, partitioned tables, logical replication, and
vacuuming.  Notably, foreign data wrappers can now make use of query
parallelism.

B-tree index updates are managed more efficiently, reducing index bloat.

Extended statistics can now be collected on expressions, allowing
better planning results for complex queries.

libpq now has the ability to pipeline multiple queries, which can boost
throughput over high-latency connections.

TOAST data can optionally be compressed with LZ4 instead of the traditional
pglz algorithm.
-----

I'm not entirely sure that the TOAST item should make the cut,
but I feel fairly good about the rest of this list.  Thoughts?

            regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/c1e72deb-8f8b-694a-1dc1-12ce671f8b8f%40postgresql.org