Re: FYI , Intel CC and PostgreSQL , benchmark by pgsql

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: FYI , Intel CC and PostgreSQL , benchmark by pgsql
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
jihuang <jihuang@iis.sinica.edu.tw> writes:
> I have a new server and some time to do an interesting simple benchmark.
> Compile PostgreSQL 7.4.1R by gcc3.2 and Intel CC 8.0 , and use pgbench
> to evaluate any difference..

In my experience, a 10% difference in pgbench results is below the noise
level :-(.  And when you only run 300 transactions, the results are too
unrepeatable even to be worth posting.

If you had run, say, 10000-transaction tests and averaged the results
over a couple dozen runs, the mean and standard deviation of those
results might be enough data to tell something.

BTW, when you use a number of clients greater than the scaling
factor, what you're measuring is mostly contention artifacts ...