Re: postmaster does not start up

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: postmaster does not start up
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Andrew Perrin - Demography <aperrin@demog.Berkeley.EDU> writes:
> Greetings - this is with a newly-compiled 7.0.3 under debian 2.2 on a
> pentium box.  All compiling went just fine; however, although the
> postmaster is running based on ps, it can't be accessed. Any ideas will be
> much appreciated.

> postgres@nujoma:~$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl start

> postgres@nujoma:~$ psql
> Connection to database 'template1' failed.
> connectDB() -- connect() failed: Connection refused
> Is the postmaster running at 'localhost' and accepting connections on Unix
> socket '5432'?

Hmm.  Where are you invoking psql from, and is it the same one you
compiled yourself?

ISTR that the Debian RPMs use a nonstandard location of the pgsql Unix
socket file, which means that an RPM psql will NOT talk to a standard
compilation of the postmaster, nor vice versa.

I've complained about that packaging choice in the past ;-)