Re: [HACKERS] pl/perl extension fails on Windows

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: [HACKERS] pl/perl extension fails on Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 07/25/2017 08:58 AM, Amit Kapila wrote:

> I think the real question is where do we go from here.  Ashutosh has
> proposed a patch up-thread based on a suggestion from Andrew, but it
> is not clear if we want to go there as that seems to be bypassing
> handshake mechanism.  The other tests and analysis seem to indicate
> that the new version Perl binaries on Windows are getting built with
> flags that are incompatible with what we use for plperl and it is not
> clear why perl is using those flags.  Do you think we can do something
> at our end to make it work or someone should check with Perl community
> about it?

No amount of checking with the Perl community is likely to resolve this
quickly w.r.t. existing releases of Perl.

We seem to have a choice either to abandon, at least temporarily, perl
support on Windows for versions of perl >= 5.20 (I think) or adopt the
suggestion I made. It's not a complete hack - it's something at least
somewhat blessed in perl's XSUB.h:
   /* dXSBOOTARGSNOVERCHK has no API in xsubpp to choose it so do   #undef dXSBOOTARGSXSAPIVERCHK   #define
dXSBOOTARGSXSAPIVERCHKdXSBOOTARGSNOVERCHK */

Note that on earlier versions of perl we got by without this check for
years without any issue or complaint I recall hearing of. If we don't
adopt this I would not be at all surprised to see Windows packagers
adopt it anyway.

cheers

andrew