Re: Tuning Postgres 9.1 on Windows

От Walker, James Les
Тема Re: Tuning Postgres 9.1 on Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
SSD is OCZ-VERTEX3 MI. Controller is LSI SAS2 2008 Falcon. I'm working on installing EDB. Then I can give you some I/O
numbers.

-- Les

-----Original Message-----
From: Merlin Moncure [mailto:mmoncure@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 9:07 AM
To: Walker, James Les
Cc: Thomas Kellerer; pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Tuning Postgres 9.1 on Windows

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 7:51 AM, Walker, James Les <JAWalker@cantor.com> wrote:
> Exactly, if turning off fsync gives me 100 commits/sec then I know where my bottleneck is and I can attack it. Keep
inmind though that I already turned off synchronous commit -- *really* dangerous -- and it didn't have any effect.

well synchronous commit is not as dangerous:
fsync off + power failure = corrupt database synchronous commit off + power failure = some lost transactions

still waiting on the ssd model #.  worst case scenario is that you tps rate is in fact sync bound and you have a ssd
withoutcapacitor backed buffers (for example, the intel 320 has them); the probable workaround would be to set the
drivecache from write through to write back but it would unsafe in that case.  in other words, tps rates in the triple
digitswould be physically impossible.

another less likely scenario is you are having network issues (assuming you are connecting to the database through
tcp/ip). 20 years in, microsoft is still figuring out how to properly configure a network socket.

merlin
CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail, including its contents and attachments, if any, are confidential. If you are not the named
recipientplease notify the sender and immediately delete it. You may not disseminate, distribute, or forward this
e-mailmessage or disclose its contents to anybody else. Copyright and any other intellectual property rights in its
contentsare the sole property of Cantor Fitzgerald.
     E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. The sender therefore does not accept
liabilityfor any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.
Ifverification is required please request a hard-copy version.
     Although we routinely screen for viruses, addressees should check this e-mail and any attachments for viruses. We
makeno representation or warranty as to the absence of viruses in this e-mail or any attachments. Please note that to
ensureregulatory compliance and for the protection of our customers and business, we may monitor and read e-mails sent
toand from our server(s).

For further important information, please see  http://www.cantor.com/legal/statement

От: Merlin Moncure
Сообщение: Re: Tuning Postgres 9.1 on Windows
От: Andy Colson
Сообщение: Re: Tuning Postgres 9.1 on Windows