AW: Big 7.1 open items

От Zeugswetter Andreas SB
Тема AW: Big 7.1 open items
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Vadim wrote:
> Impossible to recover anyway - pg_control keeps last
> checkpoint pointer, required for recovery.

Why not put this info in the tx log itself.

> That's why Oracle recommends  (requires?) at least
> two copies of control file ....

This is one of the most stupid design issues Oracle has.
I suggest you look at the tx log design of Informix.
(No Informix dba fears to pull the power cord on his servers,
ask the same of an Oracle dba, they even fear
"shutdown immediate" on a heavily used db)

Andreas